Wednesday, February 18, 2015

" I get ideas about what’s essential when packing my suitcase. " -Diane von Furstenberg

        The moment I received my acceptance letter from the host university in Milan, I could not contain my excitement. I was ridiculously happy because my dream was beginning to fall into place so perfectly. After moments of complete shock, wanderlust, and joy, my first thought was “I have no idea what I should pack…” I came to the decision that packing was the last thing I should be worried and I just put it on the back burner for a while (I definitely recommend that you actually take some time to plan out what you’re going to bring with you abroad). I went for the whole “I am just going to go with flow and see what happens” mindset and in retrospect; I wish I gave a little more thought to the things I packed. A lot of students struggle with what they should pack and the lists are great for the necessities, but they are pretty generic. I have to say that studying abroad and traveling with budget airlines through Europe will actually make you a professional packer, and I would love to share some of tips with you.

Tip #1:
Do Your Research!
This sounds like I am giving you assignments to do, but it is honestly an important factor to think about when you start packing.
 Research:
  1. What the weather is going to be in you host city
  2. Cultural and Social Norms for apparel (Example: Some countries have very strict gender related attire)
  3. Means of transportation (If you have to walk a tremendous amount think about comfortable shoes)


Tip #2:
Look over Basic Study Abroad Packing Lists!
  • These lists are perfect to get a general idea of all the necessities you should bring with you, then you can tailor them to your needs. The lists are a great foundation! I actually used the method of starting with neutral colors and simplistic styles, and adding trendy pieces like colorful cardigans or kimonos, bold print tank tops/ shirts, and a FEW of my favorite pieces of jewelry so you can be versatile with the outfits. I would mix and match different pieces to make my outfits look a little bit different each time, even though I have a smaller amount of clothes and accessories.

Tip #3:
Pick Clothes For Different Occasions!
  • When I packed for Italy, I wanted to make sure that I had appropriate and culturally aware attire for going out to clubs, restaurants, religious establishments, or any occasion. When you first experience some of these outings, just make observations about how some the people are dressed and use this as inspiration for the next time you go out.

ü  Notes from My Experience:
  • When I dressed up in a bodycon dress and heels to a club, they immediately knew I was a foreigner and I got a lot of unwanted attention. The style of the Italian girls in Milan was a bit more conservative, so I used their style as inspiration. I wore blazers or blouses with a higher neckline, and my experiences at the clubs were a lot smoother.
  • On another note, I traveled a lot within Italy and I loved visiting historical sites and churches. Out of respect for the culture and beliefs, you should cover chest area and your shoulders. I wear spaghetti straps and tank tops all the time, so I would actually just bring a super light cardigan that I could button up to cover everything.

Tip #4
Figure Out Where To Pack Hygiene Products!
So this is kind of a “learn as you go” concept and varies from country to country.
  • First, when buying hygiene products, you should purchase the ones that you know you won’t have access to. For instance, I knew that my African American hair products would not be available in Italy, so I made sure I purchased them here in America and had enough to last throughout the semester abroad.
  • Second, buy a few travel sized hygiene products to pack in your carry on, just in case the unexpected happens like a flight delay or cancellation. Most airports in America will just make you put the products in a clear bag and you can even use a sandwich bag from home.
  • Third, I would buy small containers of shampoo and conditioner, body wash, etc. to last for about a week. If you buy some of the major brands of hygiene products, they are available in your host country or have similar alternatives so just buy them there. [If you have a certain kind of shampoo or body wash that is specific to your needs, then buy it here in the U.S. before]
Tip #5
Roll Your Clothes!

  • This saves up so much space and you can pack a lot more in a suitcase using this method. There are also wonderful videos on how to pack effectively like this super simple eHow video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17smmlESBls

No comments:

Post a Comment