Tuesday, July 22, 2014

" Dreams can still come true; you need a great deal of energy and determination, and a little bit of luck. " -Stefano Gabbana



So I have returned from studying abroad in Milan, Italy, and so much has changed over the past few months. The first week I was abroad, I wrote about Milan helping me find my place in the world… and it did that and so much more.  I know that every person that studies abroad gives you the speech about how it was a life changing experience and the rest, and I’m here to tell you that it’s basically the truest statement ever told. Going abroad by yourself to a country that does not speak your native language can be seen as borderline insane, but it truly is one of the greatest feelings in the world. I got the chance to live out one of my dreams, and I was determined to enjoy every moment of it. I had to make new friends and a life for myself in a new city, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.

Milan was a surprising city and I am endlessly in love with it. Before I left the States, I thought Milan would be the equivalent of New York City in Italy, and I was surprised that it was completely different from what I expected. It is classical architecture that meets new age city, and it is filled with hidden gems that can take your breath away. In all honesty, Milan isn’t a city that you fall in love with by just visiting for a few days, to feel the true charm of the city you have to live there. Milan exceeded all my expectations, except that I personally didn’t feel an overwhelming presence of it being a fashion capital of the world. Maybe I expected too much, and falsely pictured it to be as fashion forward as the media claims it to be. However, the fashion in Milan triumphs over the fashion in New Mexico and being able to walk to down the streets of Via Montenapoleone and Via Spiga to see Gucci, Versace, Armani and Dolce & Gabbana was absolutely amazing. Although I can’t afford anything from these stores, seeing the window displays and chic store set ups was an adventure in its self. Everything was artistically beautiful and each store has its own personality and vibe. The fashion districts are incredible and you can’t help but appreciate the Italian flare that makes each brand so interesting.

After I went to the fashion districts for the first time, I realized that I seen every garment, every purse, every pair of shoes, as a work of art. I’ve loved art my entire life and taken a fashion illustration class, so I couldn’t help but think how amazing it would be to have your sketches come to life, as a piece of art that someone wears to express themselves. It’s a beautiful concept, and in that moment, I realized that fashion is definitely something I want to pursue in some shape or form. I understand all of the dynamics of fashion design, and I just didn’t think it was the exact fit for me. But I didn’t want to rule it out until I found exactly what I want to do in the fashion industry. So my journey continued and finding my passion wouldn’t be as easy as I thought, but I was just happy to be taking steps in the right direction…

No comments:

Post a Comment